Either Side of the River

"On either side of the river lie, long rows of barley and of rye, that clothe the world and meet the sky, and through the field the road run by to many towered Camelot...." - Lord Alfred Tennyson's, The Lady of Shalott.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Reno, Nevada, United States

Wednesday, March 16, 2005

A chance meeting.

I made a new friend today. His name was Nick. We were on the same shuttle up to the mail boxes. we crossed the street together and he held the door to the post office open for me. Then after we'd both checked our boxes (both were empty) he held the door open for me again. Boys: It's those little things girls like a lot. Then we walked back across the street together. Apparently he was paying enough attention to me to notice I had stopped at the corner (so as not to get run over by a semi-truck) and then we crossed the street together. We stood at the shuttle stop and I felt awkard... I wanted to say something... oh, but I am shy! So he said, "Do you live on campus." I answered yes and that I lived in Argenta. He said he lived in Lincoln. I asked his major, he said he was a theater major with teaching and philosphy minors. I enjoyed him, he was a nice boy. Where have all the nice guys gone to, really? He said he wasn't into the "party scene.." I told him I wasn't either. Then we had more awkward silence until he asked my name. Once the shuttle arrived, we sat near eachother. He said I looked a lot like the girl from the Mummy and told me, "you must get that a lot. You look just like her." I told him I thought she was beautiful and thanked him for the compliment but assured him that was one I had not heard before. He then agreed that he thought she was beautiful and he smiled at me. Then the shuttle stopped and he said, "It was nice to meet you." I told him I'd see him around, though really, the chances of that are slim.... unless we meet again tomorrow on another post-office shuttle run... but the chances there are slim as well. How many shuttles pass by in an hour? And just like that, he was gone. Honestly, I think I've had more fleeting romance on post office runs than I have at any other time during the year here in Reno. Nick was a pleasant boy... And I would enjoy seeing him again.

4 Comments:

Blogger Katie g said...

That was such a cute posting. Hope your well friend. love Katie g

4:37 p.m.  
Blogger D Jack said...

Hey Sister, you ain't the only one who has to put up with 'fleeting romances'. One more thing we have in common! haha! I've fallen in love at first sight so many times I can't remember, except for that one brown haired girl who was wearing a blue shirt, sitting on a bench in Yosemite Valley that one time...I'll never forget that one. Trouble is, I've never had the guts to say nothin'. That's always been my trouble... Someday, I'm sure, it'll all work out...

9:46 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's wrong with the question: would you like to meet for coffee so we could get more acquainted? No commitment - just a casual meeting to see if he has the "stuff" worth any interest or additional thought from you.

9:09 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Boys are just like buses. If you miss that one another will belong shortly. Thats what my aunt Fran told me years ago.

Gar Dr.

12:23 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home