Either Side of the River

"On either side of the river lie, long rows of barley and of rye, that clothe the world and meet the sky, and through the field the road run by to many towered Camelot...." - Lord Alfred Tennyson's, The Lady of Shalott.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Reno, Nevada, United States

Sunday, January 02, 2005

Where is God?

Today in church my pastor posed a slightly odd question: "Where is God while people are dying from a tsunami?" he asked.

To begin with, I was slightly disturbed that this question was asked at all in a church. "Where is God?" Matthew 1:23 states, “The virgin will be with child and will give birth to a son, and they will call him Immanuel” –which means, “God with us.” ( Also see Isaiah 7:14). I actually want you to pay close attention to God being with us.

The tsunami itself was not evil. It is a terrible devistation to land and families and people, but already I hear of miracles occuring in that area of the world. And I have yet to sit and the TV watching new and ponder where God is during all of that suffering. I know and understand that God is ever present, or omnipotent. (I can't explain how it works, but I know that it does.) And I know that when there is hurt and pain God is close and moving in hearts in a way He can not when we are too proud. Sometimes we have to break in order to see the truth.

"But Stephanie," You say, " What about those people who weren't Christian? Was God punishing them?" In response, I tell you no. God was not punishing people... even scientifically, things like this have been happening since the beginning of the earth. Mountains are formed by earth quakes, ect. As for those people who were not Christian I have to tell ask you this: Who was killed on those beaches? Children, teen agers, adults, elderly people, rich, poor, middle class, locals, vactioners, students, teachers, Muslims, Budists, Catholics and Christians (that includes Christian missionaries). It did not matter who you were. The only thing that mattered in that moment was how far away you were from the beaches.

I do not watch the news and wonder where God is. Because I know where He is. But I do wait in eager anticipation to learn about miracles that occured and continue to happen because of this. Someone told me that no good would come of this. I see so many miracles. People, around the world, rallying together with money and food and medicine and clothes. I think that is reason to celebrate in itself: The world came together... and still comes. People have a habit of not seeing the good in things and only noticing the bad which cause them to ask questions and ponder where God is while people suffer. Pain and suffering will always lead to a higher purpose.

"Where is God?" my pastor asked and one little blond girl near me whispered, "He's with those people." Yes, that's right, He's with those people and He is with us.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sometimes, in the face is tragedy, pat answers from the Bible don't line up with what we see. Then we need to be reminded, not simply by hearing something quoted at us, but be reminded by God himself, where he is. And perhaps the pastor, as the tool of God in the church, was acting as a part of that. But I wasn't there, and I'm not God anyway, so I don't know.

What do you think of the question: Why has God killed so many thousands of people in this tragedy?

12:31 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home