Either Side of the River

"On either side of the river lie, long rows of barley and of rye, that clothe the world and meet the sky, and through the field the road run by to many towered Camelot...." - Lord Alfred Tennyson's, The Lady of Shalott.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Reno, Nevada, United States

Tuesday, December 28, 2004

Past the alter and into the reception

I saw people tonight I had not seen in 2-6 years. It was like a high school reunion full of people I never talked to while I was in school. It were those popular kids that ignored me in classes but tonight waved at me from across the room or gave me that same empty smile they'd always had ready in place when they saw my face. It was the same meaningless chatter they made when there was really nothing to be said at all. "What are you doing? Oh, how is that?..." and then awkward silence until I was bored enough of nodding politely and staring down at my shoes to excuse myself, or was bold enough to end everything right there before it did indeed turn awkward. It was that dull kind of conversation that one dreads at social gatherings. In so many words, "small talk." Yes, that void emptiness that most people fail misserably at and won't recall five minutes later save for that lingering awareness of uncomfortable aire. Most likely the same questions asked and same statements made to everyone in the room when the conversation began to nose-dive into a crash ending.

"How are your parents?" One asked guy, who I'm quite sure never actually met my parents in the 6 years we were in school together.

"You look great!" was the only thing one girl stated before turning away to other people.

Most of them people I had adored or admired in high school... then a few years ago, people I never wanted to see again. Ever. For me, only a few of the friendships from high school, were worth holding onto. Sarah and David, for instance; the only two people that I am regularly in contact with from my days of younger youth. I have nothing in common with these other people anymore. Choir held us together in school, but now that choir is far from being the master of my life, only memories are our future relationship. Most of them couldn't even make or hold eye contact. Honestly, could they ever? But by far my worst moment of the wedding reception, other than the fact that the bride and groom are not old enough to rent a car was when a sly comment was made about how something was "so Steph Garver." Perhaps they have not changed, but I for sure have. Tonight was deffinately one of those experiences mentioned in my previous post. And if nothing else, I learned one thing: I will not be attending any high school reunions.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Once again, you prove to be wise beyond your years! Your Dad never attended his high school reunions, but I attended the 10 and 20 for my class. My 30 year reunion is coming up in 2005 and (finally) I have no desire to attend. I have kept in contact with four members of my class and they are the only ones I'd be interested in seeing. I loved high school. I loved the whole social part and was very outgoing although not that popular, so in the past I was interested in seeing how everyone changed. Most did not. At the 20 year reunion, I was pleased to see some had changed for the better. Praise God.
Blessings,
Mom

9:38 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home