Either Side of the River

"On either side of the river lie, long rows of barley and of rye, that clothe the world and meet the sky, and through the field the road run by to many towered Camelot...." - Lord Alfred Tennyson's, The Lady of Shalott.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Reno, Nevada, United States

Monday, October 11, 2004

There's a squirrel that lives on the island in the middle of the lake on our campus. I don't know how it got there. I think its all alone. But it looks content. It looks happy... but apperances can be decieving. It has food and plenty of water. I don't think the ducks hassel it at all... but I am pretty sure it is the only squirrel on the island. I was watching it today, wondering if its ever been off the island. Assuming that it has not, I wish I could take it off the island, and show it the world. That would knock its little squirrel socks off.

I feel like people are like this little squirrel on the island. I live on an island and God longs to take me off of it and show me who He is and the fuller life that He has created for me. But I'm "happy" on my island. I'm comfortable. I know every rock and tree... and though my island is small, I am "happy." But lately, I have started to look out past my island border.... and lo! There's soemthing in the distance across the water. I'm not really sure what it is,or what's over there but I've become interested in that other shore and I know that it is good.

We can not keep putting God into a box. No, I take that back. God is not in a box and has never been in a box. We are the ones stuck in a box, or on an island, in this case. And only by asking the Lord to bring a boat, rescue us and take us to the main land will we ever be completely free. But God's boat can sometimes be slow to arriving... not that God answers slowly.. but its a long way from the shore to the island and we need to be committed to waiting for Him to arrive.
It will arrive.

How committed are we to getting off our own little comfortable island to a fuller life? How committed are we to getting out of this box we keeep ourselves in to be totally caught up in the Lord's loving arms?

"The eyes of the Lord are on the righteous and His ears are attentive to their cry." - Psalm 34:15

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stephanie, you are awesome!!!

9:18 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your analogy of the squirrel on the island and our relationship with God! Where are the CommonFire comments? Where is Tammi? Sarah? Kari? Phillip? Are you all still out there?
Love, Mamma Garver

10:23 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home