Either Side of the River

"On either side of the river lie, long rows of barley and of rye, that clothe the world and meet the sky, and through the field the road run by to many towered Camelot...." - Lord Alfred Tennyson's, The Lady of Shalott.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Reno, Nevada, United States

Thursday, October 07, 2004

I have a cool paper in English due next Thursday... Its about my identity. That should be interesting! My first thought was from the end of summer, when Paul went to a lot of people of staff asking them who they are. So that would make a good entrance to my paper... and as far as brainstorming in class today, everyone had external identity things.. and honestly, I only had 2 that I put even the slightest weight with. Everyone talked about hair and clothes... not I! Praise Jesus, I don't place my identity in silly things like that. And I wish I even put less weight on external things than I already do. There was a period of time I wished I was blind to what our world held dear. Apperance. I thank God that my priorities have changed though! A quote I like.. and its sad that I can not recall who said it is this: "A beautiful girl should break her mirror early." Isn't that true? And the Bible also has plenty to say on apperance, particularly for women. Andrea and I have a home-made sign in our bathroom portraying the 1 Peter verse about women and finding great worth in God's sight because that was how great women of the past made themselves beautiful. Some of the most beautiful women I have ever known have been women who may not have been exceptionally beautiful by world standards on the outside, but their faces and actions shone with God's grace and truth. I want to be like that.

"Let not yours be the [merely] external adorning with [elaborate] interweaving and knotting of the hair, the wearing of jewelry, or changes of clothes; But let it be the inward adorning and beauty of the hidden person of the heart, with the incorruptible and unfading charm of a gentle and peaceful spirit, which [is not anxious or wrought up, but] is very precious in the sight of God. For it was thus that the pious women of old who hoped in God were [accustomed] to beautify themselves..." - 1 Peter 3:3-5 (AMP)

"Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight. For this is the way the holy women of the past who put their hope in God used to make themselves beautiful..." - 1 Peter 3:3-5 (NIV)

1 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie said...

haha! Jonathan, you're great! Its true.. it is very sad when people put their hair above Jesus. In fact, its one of the saddest... and silliest things I've heard today.. why are people so prideful and petty?
Sorry, friend I'll try to stick to the AMP... but with some verses, I like them they way I learned them in the NIV. But I'll try not to quote the NIV to the devil.. I don't want them to laugh at me! :)

7:07 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home