Either Side of the River

"On either side of the river lie, long rows of barley and of rye, that clothe the world and meet the sky, and through the field the road run by to many towered Camelot...." - Lord Alfred Tennyson's, The Lady of Shalott.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Reno, Nevada, United States

Friday, October 01, 2004

Andrea and I felt led by God not to go anywhere this weekend... so you know what we did instead? We walked down town, with our Bibles, brought some crackers and such with us and went to talk to homeless people. We saw some! We'd smile at them but most wouldn't make eye contact or want to have a conversation, so we'd move on.

We were getting to about as far as we would go... maybe a mile down, by the river and we passed this guy who said hello and was really friendly... but we passed him! We said hello, but neither of us could think of anything to say! It was terrible! So we went a short way, Andrea took some pictures for her photography class and then we turned with built up confidence and went back to talk to him. He asked us right off what she was taking pictures for.. we made a bit of small talk and then during a lull, I asked, him "if you died tonight, what do you think would happen to you?" he made a little laugh and asked me what would happen to me. I told him with a confident smile that I would be in Heaven. He argued my knowledge of such a thing for a bit and contridicted himself, thinking that I was surely a good person and I would be going to Heaven... but then said that we could only get to heaven by works... He said he woke up each morning and said he wasn't going to do anything bad that day and that would get him into heaven. But he said we were both very nice young women, full of life, and commented particularly on my joy and light. Andrea didn't say much (she later explained that she couldn't understand a single word he said... he had a bit of an accent. but the only trouble I had was the noise from passing cars and his occasionally softer speaking.) He said that it was impossible for people to love anyone but themselves. I told him that I would take a bullet for any member of my family or friends without a second thought... and while he pondered that and actually looked impressed by it, I thought, "I would take a bullet for this guy, if only so that he would know Jesus' love and the joy that comes through a relationship with Him."

It was sad, and at one point I almost thought I might cry when he explained that when he got to Heaven Jesus "with His big wings a halo" would welcome this guy in because he did good things. And I got this very vivid picture of Jesus telling this man, "I never knew you," and our new friend would beg, "But I did good things! I tried hard!" and Jesus would say, "No.. you heard about me once, remember those two girls in the park, by the river? But you did not believe them." and then the thought went black. Gosh, I wish it was easier for people to believe. Jesus loves them so much its hard to watch them deny Him... but so good to be out working for the Kingdom.

Please pray for this man, His name is Andrew... He needs Jesus.

2 Comments:

Blogger Ryan said...

I will pray for him. I know that even though he did not respond then that you guys planted seeds and that is good to know. I will be praying for you. Ryan

12:10 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Praise Jesus for your willingness to share His love and the gospel! Maybe you need some small bibles to share with folks like Andrew. Would you be interested if I (and maybe some other readers) could help you get some?

8:05 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home