Either Side of the River

"On either side of the river lie, long rows of barley and of rye, that clothe the world and meet the sky, and through the field the road run by to many towered Camelot...." - Lord Alfred Tennyson's, The Lady of Shalott.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Reno, Nevada, United States

Tuesday, September 14, 2004

Tonight, and most of the afternoon as well, Andrea and I sat in our room. Around 7:00, I became overly bored and expressed my wish that we had someone that we could ahng oout with on occasion... and she agreed with me. We then talked of different ministry tactics. Should we change how we dress? (Absolutely not) Should we attempt to do hair and make-up in the morning? (Honestly, other than attracting people for the wrong reasons, no.) Keeping our door open to the hall sure doesn't seem to be doing the trick.. even offering people freshly picked Calvin Crest apples... Of course an open door and apples may be a start but they're not going to draw people to Christ. We're here, we may as well accept it and I may as well stop complaining. Its not going to make things better and its keeping me from being positive. Therefore, God is doing good things through me while I'm here... I'm here for refining, not to make friends... but friends will happen along the way. As they did tonight. Some guys down the hall came by and I and I asked if they wanted to play cards with us a little later. They looked happy for an escape from homework and accepted! And so we played cards in our lounge! God heard our cry for people to hang out with! And these guys will see Christ through us. Thank you for your prayers... my next posts should be more substantial than these last few "whinny" ones. Sorry about that... but like my good friends Joshua David says, "it's a good thing to have a 'not happy' post every now and then because you're not always happy."

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jesus wants you to love people. Don't love them SO they'll come to Christ, but love them because Christ loves them, because Christ loves you, and because you love Christ. If Christ wants to draw them to himself, then he can use your love for them.

That way, you're not caught up in this success/failure project, where love and friendship and apples become nothing more than a means to an end (evangelism), but rather evangelism can simply become another function of the fact that you love people - a miracle possible because Jesus has empowered you with his Spirit, which gives you the ability to love as he does.

I'm looking forward to seeing you soon! Adjioes.

Peace,
~Josh

11:48 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Stephanie how I miss you. Hearing what dorm life has been like for you scares me and challenges me at the same time. I'm praying for you and don't forget that God has purpose in all of this. Peace, hope, love and joy overflow from Christ's cup of suffering to our own as we need to be refilled- there's hope for you!
Liz www.xanga.com/banzaibuoy

12:41 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Stephanie,
Sorry that you and Andrea are having a hard time in the dorms. Things are going pretty well out here in Colorado, only problem is that I am sick. Well, continue to try and be postive, and happy, that is what will help draw people to Christ, for everyone deals with struggles, and problems, and remember, "I want to be the moon, it reflects the sun, don't want to be a star that shines on everyone."
-Brian

11:51 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home