Either Side of the River

"On either side of the river lie, long rows of barley and of rye, that clothe the world and meet the sky, and through the field the road run by to many towered Camelot...." - Lord Alfred Tennyson's, The Lady of Shalott.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Reno, Nevada, United States

Tuesday, April 27, 2004

Firstly, though I thank you all for you comments on my previous post, I think that everyone took it the wrong way. Forgive me first off for not quoting it and giving credit where credit is due. My entire last post was a short monologue I performed in an audition a few years ago. It is from Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte. It is not supposed to be taken in a depressing and down hearted tone as I fear my readers took this post to mean. Instead it is of courage and holding to ones honor. In the book Ms. Eyre has been proposed to by a man she does love but he is already married. And though is wife has gone insane and is not capable of any womanly, motherly or wife duties Jane refuses to marry him. It is this very passage that I failed to quote in which she contemplates setting aside her principles and her honor to do what her flesh desires: Marry a married man. Jane is a wonderful portrayal of femininity, honor and courage. She truly does "hold to the principles received" by her before disaster struck her life. Because as she says, "Laws and principles are not for times when there is no temptation, but are for such moments as this..."
I wish I could hold to my standards as well as my heroine always does.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home