Either Side of the River

"On either side of the river lie, long rows of barley and of rye, that clothe the world and meet the sky, and through the field the road run by to many towered Camelot...." - Lord Alfred Tennyson's, The Lady of Shalott.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Reno, Nevada, United States

Wednesday, April 28, 2004

Could I paint something I know nothing about? Tonight we watched a war movie and I jokingly said that I wanted to be a Navy Seal. Of course, everyone laughed at me and then someone responded with, "I don't think I'd feel any safer if you were a Navy Seal." I'll be honest, I was so offended I was speachless. (And everyone who knows me also knows that I am not easily speachless.. and I think that was the first time in my life I had absolutely no words at all.) Of course I don't want to join the Navy. Never have I had any desire even in the slightest to join any of the armed forces; Lord bless them. But I sat in the room shortly after looking at one of my paintings.. it was a happy painting, one of my most recent actually, rolling hills apple trees and a big beautiful sky. Basically the whole painting just speaks the word, "Peace." Could I paint a battle field? Of course I've never personally experienced a war and I realize that capturing the exactness and gruesomeness would be basically impossible due to my lack of artistic painting abilities but I suppose I could paint chaos, darkness and death if portrayed correctly. I would do such a painting no justice, but I think I'd like to try. And though I have always believed that you should write or paint about things you know I think it might be interesting just to try it sometime. It could never hurt.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home