Either Side of the River

"On either side of the river lie, long rows of barley and of rye, that clothe the world and meet the sky, and through the field the road run by to many towered Camelot...." - Lord Alfred Tennyson's, The Lady of Shalott.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Reno, Nevada, United States

Friday, February 27, 2004

After careful thinking, I'm afraid I have to make a change to a previous entry written on February 25, 2004 (Ash Wednesday, if you will.) In the entry I stated that I was going to give up boys. (which was not what it said at all, but I'm merely stating that to save time and space.) Let me explain why I can not "give up boys" for lent. One, that is not at all realistic, Nor is it something one can simply give up on a whim and expect it to stay gone. Not at all realistic of me. It is deffinately something I need to work on, for sure, but as far as here today-gone tomorrow thinking that is not possible. Does this make sense? I can not give up ways that have become second nature to me in a day. However, I do thank you for all believeing that I could, its encouraging and like I said, something I will be working on, though not the oficial thing being given for Lent this year.

What I have decided about Lent is thus: Lent is not always a time for "what can I give up" I think it is more of a time for, "what can I give." For example, my dear Friend Eric is giving two hours of his week to sit and listen to Jesus. He has school and a life, on Common Fire, we work for 8 hours a day and then what do we do for the rest fo the time? Nothing of much importance. What I can give is time. Which is percisely what I need to do. Anyone who knows of Common Fire, I'm sure knows that the TV is always on... The Ranch House sees more movies a day than a movie theater. We all talk about how much we hate it, but its the only way to be near the fire and to have some form of fellowship. As I've stated in previous posts, I want to be intentional and I want to invest in people. So, giving up watching movies is perfect! Each time a movie is turned on, I will leave the room, whether to pray, read the Bible or invest in someone. 2 hours of prayer or 2 hours of good talky-talk... Its not necessarily a fast, but it sure is something that needs to be done.. so why not start with 40 days? Imagine the possibilities!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home