Either Side of the River

"On either side of the river lie, long rows of barley and of rye, that clothe the world and meet the sky, and through the field the road run by to many towered Camelot...." - Lord Alfred Tennyson's, The Lady of Shalott.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Reno, Nevada, United States

Tuesday, December 30, 2003

So....

My plane, on Sunday, was delayed on my return from Las Vegas to Sacramento. About 4 hours delayed. So, I sat at the airport, read books, write some letters and worried that poor Phillip (who was supposed to pick me up from the airport in Sacramento) would be just sitting at the baggage claim for hours! Finally, my plane leaves! (yay!) and I end up sitting next to this guy who's a little too friendly, needless to say, I'm overly excited when my plane finally lands, I can get off and go find Phillip... who had indeed been waiting around for me. It's about 4 now.. and before heading off to camp, Phillip needed to run some erands, and we had dinner. We left at approxomitely 6 o'clock pm and poor Phillip was already tired, so I promised to talk to him and keep him awake as we drove for the next 4 hours back up to camp. We were having the most amazing conversation as we drove... Then we stopped for a bathroom break and ended up making soem kind of a wrong turn on the way out of town... about 45 minutes later, we realized that we didn't know where we were and his compass said we were going east instead of South. So, we pulled over a bit later at a gas station to find out we were in Sonora... which was very much out of our way.. but the good news was we could still get to Oakhurst without back tracking! (the people at the gas station were really cool and very helpful.. praise Jesus for them!) So, we find our way to this different highway (the 49) which the man at the gas station called "car sick road." which really ended up being nothing more than a crazy, curvy, dark road on the very edge of a steep cliff. Maybe half way along the highway Phillip says that he's really tired and needs to sleep or he'll fall asleep at the wheel. And me, not wanting to drive the scary, dark, cruvy road we pulled over for the night. We moved all the stuff from the back seat of the car up to the front, took out the back seat and made ourselves a sleeping area. It was super cold and a bit stormy... but Phillip had a sleeping bag (which he gave me, gentleman that he is) and I had my down throw and a small quilt from Christmas (which Phillip used) At one point in the night it rained and maybe a total of 6 cars passed us all night ... we left after reorganizing the van again about 8:30 and started off on our way to camp. We were determined to reach camp by 10 and it was about 9:50 when we hit Calvin Crest road... It was super icy and we drove slowly until we found ourselves behind the US Foods truck (a semi)... it had slipped on the icy and was now stuck on the middle of a hill. 2 hours, 2 broken chains and several calls up to the office later we made our way back up the hill! (yay!) The first thing we did was stop into the office to check our mail... where we found out our parents had realized we'd never made it back to camp the night before, were freaking out, crying and had called 5 highway patrols in the 5 counties we were supposed to have passed through! Everyone was relieved to have us back safely and life was good... an hour later, we started work and about 3 it started snowing on us... 10-15 more inches of snow... which, for me, meant much shoveling of snow that day. College conference has begun and I love that there are so many summer staff people up right now! (especially my Kari Maddox.. yay Kari!)

Today, I worked from 11-7:30... at about 10:30 this morning, Kari and I went for a walk down to the lake... knowing it was frozen over we decided to take a walk on the ice! :) She walkedout and made a comment about how she was feeling more Christ-like every moment when I exclaimed that I too wanted to be more like Christ... I stepped out on the other side of the dock... when the ice broke and my foot sank about knee deep in.. I screamed as I ended up seated in the snow of the dock, "Kari Maddox, help me!" she rushed over and we pulled me out of the water! I went up to the Ranch house ot change before work. Work was mostly tedious stuff but Kari was with me for some of it and it was fun talking to her.. At this point I'm super tired (though not as tired as last night) and I think I'm going to go work on the scarf I'm making for Jean.

Its good to be back... I missed everyone!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home