Either Side of the River

"On either side of the river lie, long rows of barley and of rye, that clothe the world and meet the sky, and through the field the road run by to many towered Camelot...." - Lord Alfred Tennyson's, The Lady of Shalott.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Reno, Nevada, United States

Tuesday, December 23, 2003

I have found myself in an odd place. A place between worlds. Two very different worlds full of very different people and very different things. There is a song from Into The Woods called "Giants in the sky" In this song the singer says, "And I think of all of the things I've seen and I wish that I could live in between, but I'm back again only different than before." That seems like the place I am at... There are good things about each world and though I wish I could live in between at times I know that my place is on that beautiful mountain with my family of brothers and sisters in Christ... why would I want to leave that place? But I must and it gives me such great time for reflection...In a poem by Cynthia grey she states, "I looked out beyond the shore, there my world gazed back at me, grander than before." Its true in life! If we do step back and look farther into our lifes.. past the angry words, busy streets and bitter thoughts.. past the laughter and the tears and the smiles... isn't your world so much grander? Isn't it so much larger... full of so much more possibility? Doesn't your life go deeper than you'd ever dreamed it could! Mine does... and I can't wait to explore it more!

This is interesting... I was in a line today and this woman.. maybe 5 years older than me started asking me about my life and what I was going to do in the future and such.. complete stranger.. so I induldged her, besides the line was long and I was bored. I told her about our community up at Calvin Crest, the minnistry and how I was thinking about going into nursing next year... She told me, "nurses don't make much money." and I told her that if I did go into nursing, which is up in the air anyway, that I would want to go out of the country and help sick people who couldn't pay for a doctor. She seemed a little taken aback and then said, "Thats such a nice thing to do." she went on to talk about a woman she'd read about in some magazine that was in another country helping sick people and she said, "The people that help are so deserving!" (in which I thought 'no.. they're just being Jesus and doing what Jesus has called them to... if you told one of those missionaries that they were deserving they'd probably laugh at you and tell you that its the people they help that are the deserving ones.') "I wish I could help people." she said ('So, why doesn't she get out there and help?' I thought) and just after that she checked out... Isn't it odd that everyone says, "Oh yes, someone should go help those poor, sad, sick people... but not me, I'm too busy and my money is too valuable. But if someone else goes, that's very nice." I will never understand people... I don't think I ever will. Jesus, give her a heart for You...

There really is so much possibility in life! I people were not so blind to it...stuck in a world they do not wish to live in. I hope that I will always be able to change my plans. Had I not gotten hired on summer staff this summer... I would never have done Common Fire and I would be at UNR doing God only knows what! I hope that I will always be ready to make a change and take a new, unexplored path! I pray that I am always called to make such decisions and live in an adventure! I desire new paths and new options! If the world is truely full of so many opportunities, I hope that when faced with such decisions I won't always take the comfortable path because sometimes it is well to live life on the edge and try new things. I want to take new paths and explore new places and meet new people! I want to create my own world that stands alone.. that is not an in-between land, but a place of my own...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home