Either Side of the River

"On either side of the river lie, long rows of barley and of rye, that clothe the world and meet the sky, and through the field the road run by to many towered Camelot...." - Lord Alfred Tennyson's, The Lady of Shalott.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Reno, Nevada, United States

Saturday, November 29, 2003

I can't go anywhere without being hit on by someone! I'd forgotten that strange feeling being awayfor so long with such gentle chivilrous people (like Phillip! He's totally into Chivilary!) So.... I walk into Rite Aide, down the street from my house to drop off some film yesterday. I drop off my film and realize its been a long time since I've been in a Rite aide, so I decide to wander around for a little while before going home again. So, as I walk I see this black guy and I give him a little half smile... He looked completely taken off guard that I smiled at him.. at least that was my thought at the time... Well, I kept wandering and kept seeing him down the iles of the store... At which point I start heading toward the door but I didn't get very far before he pops out and says, "We just keep running into eachother, don't we?" Now, what I should have said was, "Oh, do we, I hadn't noticed?" But I didn't... I laughed and said, "Yea.. we sure do.." I tried to escape again when he said, "What's your name?" I told him and he told me his name.. He then asked if I lived around here... I told him that I did not, and I was just visiting. He asked where I was from and I immediately thought of Bryan Cosby... a wonderful man who talks to people in stores, finds out their life stories and shares Christ with them... so I responded with, "I work at a Christian camp in California." I started to walk away agin when he said, "You got a number?" and I said, "No... we don't really have a phone.. I live on a mountain." he looked confused and said, "But you have to have some kind of phone." and I said, "Yea, but I live far away, so.." and he said, "It's okay, I travel a lot. I'm a producer for [insert whatever record company you want here.. because what he told me meant squat as far as I'm concerned.]" Then he asked if I knew of JZ... misunderstanding him and thinking he said JC.. I laughed and said, "JC? Jesus Christ?" he didn't look amused and I told him I'd never heard of JZ... then he asked me if I knew of Bianace. I did not know of her either... had he bothered to ask what kind of music I liked he'd know I would have had no idea what he was talking about... shortly after that he got distracted by something and I ran out of the store to which he caught up with me just as I was getting into my car. I told him "Sorry" and drove off. Weirdo. Yep.

I went with Chelsea and my Mom for lunch and it was fun.. I got to spend the whole afternoon with my Chelsea.. I felt bad because a lot of the day was me running erands and he just coming with me. As the day got dark, we called Kerry to find out what was up. and then Brittany called... so, I took Tony and Chelsea with me to go pick up Brittany... but we stopped for gas first... and I felt weird getting out and walking into the gas station alone.. so I took Chelsea with me into the store. One the way in I heard something a long the lines of, "Hey, check out those (or that) girl (s)" after paying, we walked back to the truck and I this car pulls up along side my truck. These two black guys stick their heads out (and for a moment, I thought it was the same guy from Rite Aide and I started innerly freaking out. As they yelled at me, I attempted to fill up my truck with gas as Chelsea stood beside me, looking up to me with wide eyes... and Tony sat silently in the truck. "Hey, Baby.. Hey Baby.. that your husband's truck, babe? Why won't you look at us, gorgeous? Hey, baby.. your truck is black.. your shirts black... black's in style this year. Baby, what's up, baby?" that's basicially it before they realized I wasn't going to respond and drove off. freaky people. Tony and Chelsea were amazed at the whole cirrcumstance... its not the first time its happened... and it happens more than I want (of course). Even in Oakhurst, I've had old men hit me and my friends have had to come usher me away... because I'm oblivious when people are hitting on me unless they're really straight forward about it.

Well, eventualyl we went iceskating... Kerry, Garrett, Bobby, Tony, Chelsea, Brittany, Brian Miller (yay Brian Miller!), his friend Joel and myself... and while there I saw my Javier! I love you, Javier Jamie Martin! You are one of my very favorites!! Yep! Then after dropping off all the other kids, I hung out with Garrett until way too late and now I'm super tired...

It was nice to be here and see some people... but I'm more than glad to be going home today... in fact, I can hardly wait to be on the road again.... to be able to sleep in my bed tonight... though I'll get in about 11:00... 11:30... I miss everyone... and unfortuantely, I haven't had all that much alone time to think about Community life and the people up there... so maybe I'll do that on the 9 hour car ride home, hmm? If any other Common Folk read this... I love you, I miss you and you mean the world to me... Jesus has blessed me like no other with you in my life. Thank you for all being so very wonderful.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home